Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I'm returning to homestay tomorrow, and I'm pretty excited.

Although it has been nice to see a bunch of other americans and eat decent food, I miss my family.  I'm excited to see what i've missed in the soap opera and chat with my dad and brothers.  It'll be good to try and make malian tea again with my moms while they laugh at me for being a stupid american woman.   I'm also STOKED to get back to our Neygen.  The potties here are gross and small and you basically have to shower stradling your poo hole.  My "bathroom" at homestay is clean and has enough room that you can bathe without feeling like your getting dirty while you're doing it.

I'll be back to Tubaniso in about a week.  After a couple days here I'll leave for site visit.  Site visit is when I actually go to Bamako to see where I'll be living and working.  I'm very excited about this. :)

A couple of emails I've gotten have asked me what I'd like sent.  Honestly, I'm not even sure!  Any yummy american snacks that can stand a 4 week transit and heat are welcome.

Some ideas from the Peace Corps Volunteers here are:

-spices (I love garlic salt and cinnamon)
-oreos/other yummy american cookies like nutter butters
-gummie bears
-sour candy that doesn't melt
-peanut butter (jif or skippy make a natural one that is no stir and no refridgerate....yummy)
-skittles
-starburst
-crackers
-parmesean cheese (i know that sounds weird but apparently it's good to send)
-seasoning packets (like taco and what not)

Honestly, i don't even care.  A letter would be great!

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well and all is peace (that's a bambara phrase).  

Love you all and miss you crazy!!!!!!  

Gypsy on

No comments: