Thursday, December 20, 2007

Proud

I still say i'm a member of Imago Dei even though I live 1000 miles from my church. Sometimes I'm reminded why I'm so steadfast in my devotion to a church I can't even attend.

Today I was checking out our website (conveniently located on my links) and felt a swell of pride for the work my brohams and sisters are doing there. For instance.......our new ministry -- Scarlet Cord which will work with Portland's prostitutes, providing hot beverages and food, conversation, and prayers to women working the streets. There's our commitment to redefining Christmas with "Advent Conspiracy" a church movement to put meaning back into christmas and take out the materialism. Check it out, it's an awesome thing. My church collected more than $150,000 on Advent Sunday (this last sunday) to give to global and local charities.

And the church itself is so amazing. You can go and be anyone, wear anything, do anything and feel loved and accepted. It's really mindblowing. I've never walked into a church and felt like truth, love, and Christ were so present as I do at Imago. It's life-changing and radical.

That chuch has SO much going on and is reaching into so many parts of Portland (and the world) to bring redemptive life. They are devoted to the arts, calling it "participating in the creative life of the Creator", they speak to Portland's homeless, and they, well, they are just amazing. Check out our website to see all the areas they are a working in. AND, join me and my awesome boyfriend at the 9am for service next Sunday. I guarentee you will see the hands and feet of Christ in that place.

2 comments:

Rob Dennis said...

What about the rich? Who ministers specifically to them? It's easy to go to people who monetarily have nothing and feel like you are giving to them but what about the people who even the Bible says is hard for them to get into heaven. Camel through the eye of the needle. While work with the homeless is good work what about the widows and orphans? You can still have a living spouse and be widowed to greed, workaholism, pride. Your parents can be alive but for the same be orphaned. How often are we human doings instead of human beings. Its easy to focus on the destitute what about the morbidly self sufficient?

Tiffany said...

tis true. jesus after all went after some tax collectors. no worries friend imago has recovery programs for the usual drugs and alcohol, but also divorce, eating disorders, sexual betrayal, sexual addictions, abuse survivors, and chronic illness, and mental illness. We've also got the Belmont Foundation which reaches out to single mom's and their sons (which in this day has nothing to do with socio-economics). There is more out there, and it's true addressing the needs of the well off is hard because their needs are so much more difficult to identify...it's not an easy thing brother