Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cloverfield and other random notes

Thomas and I saw Cloverfield last week, and can I just say that movie was radtacular??? I mean okay it IS a monster movie (like a modern cooler Godzilla monster movie), so we can't expect the philosophical profundity of Wit or anything like that, but all things considered a superb film. I'd love to expound, but you should really just see it. I don't want to spoil it.

In other news, the Clinton's are really showing their true colors these days. I mean, is it just me, or does Bill Clinton look like (not to mention act like) an old drunk homeless man dressed up for a ball these days? Saying absurd things about Obama and falling asleep during a MLK service.....wow. But, in truth, he isn't running for president, Hilary is. But she's pretty much the devil. Since when does Hilary Clinton have room to talk about "experience" in politics? Experience in what???? Being first lady for 8 years and a senator for just about as long as Obama? And then her campaign is chock full of retardation...aka comparing Obama to Kennedy and then alluding that Kennedy got shot.....did she tip back on ol' Bill's flask? Holy smokes!

Needless to say I'm not a fan of Hil. I'm not a Clinton basher...say what you will about them, I don't think Bill was the worst or best president we've ever seen. He'll probably fall back into history like James Knox Polk or something. (ya who the hell is Polk? my point exactly).

So here's me rooting for Obama! I'm liberal scum, I know. Actually, I'm an independent if you must know (forfeiting my right to vote in primaries, but oh so worth the knowledge that I don't' toe any one's line). It's just the conservatives have very little going for them as far as I can tell (but to be honest i haven't taken a good look yet, i never do til the real election given my aforementioned lack of ability to vote in the primaries anyway...) I like Giuliani, but probably just cause he was on TV a lot in '01.

Other than that i know very little except the Republicans will never win the election. Okay not never, Democrats have a tendency to eat there own in primaries and then lose the election because their own team knocked the poo outta them.

Continuing this rant...how many emails have i gotten talking about Obama's "Afro-centric" church and his "Muslim leanings." Come on people, stop forwarding chain letters that are full of mierda. First of all, actually go look at his church website and find that it is a primarily African American church (which accepts white members contrary to the current email) which serves a primarily African American neighborhood. God forbid they have some intrinsic values that reflect the culture that they are and the people they serve. And can we just note for a second that these "black" churches rose up in a period of American history when "White" churches didn't exactly support the black community. In fact they often (but not always, so don't get all defensive) were the people persecuting African American communities. So lets not be surprised, in fact lets be somewhat understanding, when these churches that rose out of oppression cling to their culture and seek to uplift their community by supporting "black" family values, morals, etc.

Furthermore, Obama is not Muslim...his father was, but he left when he was 2. He went to catholic school in Indonesia as well as a predominately Muslim public school (but Indonesia is predominately Muslim...so go figure). His mother was a-religious, and Obama has never attended an extremist school or defined himself as Muslim...only Christian. Those claims are outrageous and probably would be made if his name was Benjamin Johnson.

Okay i feel better now.

I'd also like to inform you that Ben and Jerry's Turtle Soup ice cream is delicious.

2 comments:

Wendy... said...

I love you! Thanks for making me laugh today. I will admit to being a Hil hater - but mostly because I went to school in Arkansas while Bill was still governor there! ACK! Anyway - I love the rant - and will tell you that even my conservative republican self is seriously looking at Obama, because really - which of the republican choices that we have is worthy?

Anyway - like I said..love ya lots.

I miss Africa!

Shawna Atteberry said...

Fortunately in Illinois you can vote in the primaries being an Independent, which I am too. I'm voting for Obama. I think the Clintons are all in a snit because they thought that Hillary was going to be unopposed in the primary. She thought she was just going to waltz into the general election then to the White House. I think not.