Monday, August 18, 2008

Land of Pure Imagination

So Bamako rocks.  I spent the week eating yummy food (well we call it Mali Good, which translates to America OK).  

The university is huge!  I'm excited about working there, but it is a daunting task.  Alec and I found a house to live in that is walking distance from the university and the local market, so that's good.  The house is pretty awesome and I even have a kitchen.  YAY!  I can bake!  (First, however, I need to buy and oven....but all things in good time).  

It's hard to even blog about my time there because it seems like an overwhelming task.  Basically it's a big African city just like you'd probably imagine.  Dirty, animals in the street, huge, loud, but oddly exciting and pulsating with life.  

I'm pretty stoked.  Back to homestay today, though.  3 LONG weeks of homestay.  Sigh....i can make it.  I can't wait until training is over.  Swear in is September 12 (I think, I can't actually remember).

Shout out to everyone who has sent me a letter or package.  Thanks mom and Grandma :)  And Thomas, yours is somewhere in the Mali mail system....SCARY ;)  Nah it'll come sooner or later :) 

Anyway, I'll be awhile before I can get back on I'm guessing.  But no worries, next time I'm back I won't be living out of a backpack and I'll actually have a house WOOT!

Gypsy on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love reading your blog! You are living an amazing adventure.
My mom (cousin? Kathy) sent me the link (sent to her by your grandma).
Look forward to reading more of your adventures!