Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bonne Fete

Today was a great day.  Ramadan ended today, so that means everyone gets to eat during the day.  Think of this holiday on par with the American Thanksgiving in terms of eating.  

I was bummed this morning because I was pretty sure i was going to miss out on all the fun since I don't have any really good Malian friends yet.  HOWEVER, my friend Racy called me around noon, to ask if I wanted to go with her and her friends to celebrate.  Of course I said yes, and they picked me up minutes later and whisked us away to a beautiful house outside Bamako proper.  

Her Malian friends made us DELICIOUS food, and we just sat and talked all day.  It was so fun and I had the best lamb ever!  I love Mali!  

Before I left for the fete, I organized the Halloween decorations my mom sent me (thanks momma) and started looking online for ideas for halloween crafts I could do to add to my decorating prowess.  (We all know how crappy i am at art, and how I got S- in grade school in neatness, but still, I try).  Anyway, I raided my med kit for gauze pads (sorry PCMO's) and made little ghosts from them, and I'm in the process of constructing gravestones to put outside in the yard (my yard is walled, so Malians won't know, otherwise I think I'd be labeled a witch or something).  I also found a recipe for salt dough, which you can mold into ghosts....but one needs a mircowave....I think i'm going to try and use the one at the Peace Corps Bureau to make some ghosts....muahahahahahahaha!

Anyway, tomorrow is the first, so I'm going to get up early and run to the grocery store to get a loaf pan, then i'll attempt to make some pumpkin bread from a mix my mom sent me while I decorate with my meager, but festive, decorations.  Long Live Halloween!

Gypsy on!

No comments: