Thursday, January 22, 2009

I drew a Viking helmet for my class

Classes are off and running....as long as you aren't a freshman. Freshman are apparently still registering and that's why I no one has shown up to my freshmen classes.

My British Studies class met for the fourth time today and is going just swimmingly. We are studying the Anglo Saxons and their role in British history. Our piece of literature for the period is Beowulf. We are reading a modern translation since the language is quite difficult in the normal translations.

My student's seem to be enjoying it and have asked several good questions prompting me to draw swords, helmets with bull horns on them, and maps of europe on the blackboard. Although my artistry is poor, it seems they are really learning the material.

I love teaching :)

As for Obama's inauguration, we watched in style at the American Club and toasted the president with pizza and soft drinks (and some had beer).

I don't know if I believe in Obama's Messianic qualities espoused by the devout left, but i do know that "Hope is a good thing, perhaps the best of things" and America has some serious collective hope right now. That kind of hope can create change all by itself. I hope.

Gypsy On!

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Thanks for the tip, Tiff! After lots of searching I finally found a pair of capri-like things that I think (hope!) should work well. And yay for after-Christmas sales that continue until the end of January!