Sunday, January 18, 2009

SCHOOLS IN! Woot!

It's been a ROUGH couple months. I was feeling really really useless over here. But school has finally started, and I'm so excited.

Classes began on Monday, but my first class met Wednesday. Usually I will have about 135 students per class (I have 5 classes). I was a little depressed when half my classes didn't show up and the other half only had about 15 people in them each. BUT...apparently this is fairly normal for the first week and I expect attendance to be up next week.

I have 3 American Studies classes, 1 British Studies class, and 1 Conversation class.

My American Studies classes will begin with exploration and end around Western Expansion. We will look at history through the lense of literature...or so is my plan.

British Studies is still kind of in the air. We were originally told to begin with the middle ages-renaissance....but that may have been a mistake, still waiting to hear. In the meantime my class has not read Beowulf, so we'll begin there.

Conversation is a wide open class. I can talk about anything at all. I may use this venue to get students talking about civil rights, women's rights, religion and government, and development.

I really hope we don't strike anytime soon......but I've already heard there are some problems on the horizon........we'll wait and see :)

In the meantime, i'm lesson planning!

Gypsy On!

No comments: