Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Gearing Up

I'm trying to get together everything i need for my 2 years in Mali. I'm trying to stay basic...i HATE being that kid that has all north face gear and a hydration pack for a 3 mile hike. I'm a basics person...I like non name brands and avoid fads (some would say i lack fashion lol).

All the same this prep work is costing me a TON of money that I don't' really have. So far I've bought:

  • 2 Macabi skirts (www.macabiskirt.com) @ $40 (discounted) each -- these are essential for modest Africa clothing that is still practical (and so stink cool!)
  • 1 pair of chacos at $50 give or take (discounted) - i wavered on buying these, but i think quality comfortable sandals are going to be a must. I already own Keens so I'm covered in the toe protection department for more hazardous walking days
  • 2 sports bras at $25 dollars each -- i'm in desperate need of these anyway, my old ones are in sad condition. I got nike drifit which is sorta brandnamey...but i went to get underarmor, and passed for the cheaper nikes...bras need to be quality, it's a fact. you can't skimp on dairy and you can't skimp on underwear...it's too important.
  • 1 pair of Nike capris at $39 i got these on the Sports Authority Outlet site. I HATE capris, but shorts are a no no in Mali, so i'm trying....i'll probably just endure the heat in light pants though.
  • 1 Divacup -- tampons just aren't available in the rest of the world...$4o bucks
  • Bug Hut, 4 nalgenes, headlamp, frying pan REI for $125 -- just stuff you need in the third world lol. The pan is up for argument...i've heard yes you need one and no you don't...i like to cook though so i'll probably bring it.

That comes out to about $385 so far. And I still have to pick up a few things. Apparently bras are impossible to find (of any quality) so i should bring 8 new ones....oh lord that's gonna be spendy. What else...I need new trail running shoes and running pants (again no shorts allowed). That might be it though. I'm keeping my clothing list small. Jeans, pants i have, cotton tees, tanks, undies...that's it. I hear you can get clothes made REAL cheap in Africa so i'll probably rely on that for the most part.

I guess the thing is you gotta pay for your life for 2 years up front...and i just don't have that spare cash lying around (okay not totally true, i have a couple grand in savings...but it's FOR SAVING).

That's it for now...sorry for the money complaining...i'm going to the like the 6th poorest country in the world and i'm whining about $$$ for a flipping fry pan. I'm lame. I'm going to shut up now and dwell on my lameness.

:) Only 3 more months...scary. (PS still FREAKING out about leaving Thomas, but with great faith I freak out :))

Gypsy on

3 comments:

MarideeBonaDea said...

I will be joining you in Mali. Thanks for the skirt idea, finding skirts with pockets is now easy task. Other things I am looking at purchasing are a solar charger, a windup short wave radio to get CNN news and at the same time keep the packing to a minimum. See you in July. Here is a link to my blog
http://marginsofthe.blogspot.com/

Maridee

Susan said...

Hey,
I will also be joining you in Mali in July. How did you get the discount on the great skirts? I'm not much of a skirt person, and I'm cheap, but these look great. Can't wait to meet you. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Susan R.

Tiffany said...

Just write an email telling them you are a volunteer and send them some sort of proof (your invite letter or something along those lines) and they will set you up. I'm not a skirt wearer either, but i guess i'm gonna become one!