Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Giddy

So i woke up this morning dreading the errands i needed to run.  I had to go to the market and buy some ground beef, and, although this sounds like no big deal, in Mali...EVERYTHING is a big deal.  Or at least it seems like it is when there is a 12 foot language barrier to deal with.  

So anyway, I leave my house and gear up for the million times I'm going to have to greet someone, ask how their family is, how they are, how there night was, and more.  In the two blocks from my house to the market I probably greet about 30 people.  Then, once I get to the market, I have to deal with people asking me what I'm looking for, why I don't buy their tomatos, and whether or not I'm married.  

At first, I hate greeting, but usually by the 3rd person I like it.  Everyone is so nice, and even though I don't know what they are saying, I seem to do a little better each day.  Also, I noticed today that EVERYONE I saw knew me by name and wanted to talk with me.  It was crazy.  I called into a tailor's workshop by name to greet the tailors.  I don't know how they know my name, but they did.  I finally get to the market and go to the meat seller I bought meat from last time.  I asked him if he had meat without bones I could grind, but he didn't.  Then another guy came running up and told me to follow him.  He took me to another meat seller who DID have the meat I needed and he helped me buy it and take it to the grinder.  Grinding takes a few minutes, so while I'm standing there all the men are teasing me because my last name is Traore and they are Djiarras.  We joke around and I accuse them of eating beans and tell them they are bad people.  (this is all very normal in Mali and is a good way to make friends...i know it's weird.)  Anyway, so my meat is being ground and the guy who helped me find the meat and grind it tells me that he and I are going to get married and I'm going to take him back to America.  I readily agreed.  (Don't worrry Thomas this is another way of joking around in Mali). 

My meat is finished, and as I leave the market two girls i buy vegetables from call me from across the market to come talk to them.  So I do, and again it's mostly me not understanding anything they say, but I entertain them, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.  

Finally I'm almost out of the main market area when my "fiance" comes running up to me.  He asks me what day I'm going to return for him.  I told him that when he had more money I would come.  (Again this is a fairly standard joke). 

Okay, so that was fun.  And I'm already wondering why I dreaded leaving the house.  Then as I make my way back home I stop to talk with the older woman who sells peanuts on our corner.  She was one of the first people in the neighborhood that I talked with when I moved in.  She is very sweet and I try and talk to her everytime I pass.  Well today she gestures at her peanuts and says something to me....I figure she wants me to buy some.  So I ask her in bambara how much they are...but she says something and gestures like I should just take them.  

SHE GAVE THEM TO ME FOR FREE!  I know that doesn't seem like a big deal....but to me it was.  She gave me free peanuts!  how sweet is that?  She gave the rich white girl free peanuts!  I will now buy peanuts from her everytime I pass to the market.  

I feel loved.  My neighbors rock.  Even people in the scary market are nice to me.  Life is good.

Gypsy on!

No comments: