Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

Hey everyone!  Happy Halloween and Halloween Gift all around (if you don't get that you probably don't have Oakie roots).  

Halloween in Mali is mostly uneventful.  I made pumpkin pie and then went with my military friends to the American School to help run a haunted house.  I got to scare little kids and make them cry and wet their pants.  All in all a good night.  

I'm really starting to feel at home here in Mali.  I've been spending a lot of time outdoors: running, walking, going to the market, walking to work, etc.  On these walks I almost always stopped by random malians who just want to chat.

Malians are so hospitable and nice.  The other day on my way home from work I was stopped by a group of malians i frequently walk/run past and asked to sit and chat for awhile.  So we talked in Bambara, French, and some English and just passed the time together.  They even bought me a coke.  It's so crazy how generous people are here.  The butcher at the market likes for me to come sit behind his counter with him and he teaches me new bambara words.  He also gives me free meat.  So sweet considering Malians automatically think all white people are rich.  he's basically giving to me out of his poverty, knowing i'm rich....so refreshing.

I've been working at the Catholic Relief Services office, helping their staff learn english so they can advance their careers....it's been a lot of fun.  I've gotten to know a bunch of malians pretty well and learned more bambara and french a long the way.

Walking the streets of Bamako is becoming pretty normal, and I really like life here.  If I didn't miss ya'll so much I'd be perfectly content!

Gypsy on!

No comments: